Sheppard-Harris & Associates, P.C. is a certified public accounting firm established as a professional Corporation under the laws of the State of Alabama in July, 1993. We have a well-established reputation for providing quality services to the federal, state and local governmental markets, which includes providing assurance, internal audit outsourcing and co-sourcing, tax, and financial planning services.
While the firm may be based in Alabama, our clients are located in a variety of states. Our client base is broadly diversified and includes companies/organizations in the following industries and discipline: Service, Non-Profit, Healthcare, Real Estate, Governmental Entities, and Employee Benefit Plans. Our President was selected to the Alabama State Board of Public Accountancy. SHA is committed to ethical behavior and providing quality service.
We are currently seeking full-time, Staff Auditors to join our team.
Work Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in accounting
- Two to three years audit experience in the commercial, governmental, non-profit sectors or benefit plan audit experience a plus; public accounting experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, two or more years audit experience
- Current CPA license and public accounting experience a plus but not required.
Major Job Duties
Staff auditor is responsible for performing various procedures for financial and compliance audits and reviews. These duties include:
- Performs detailed audit procedures on financial statement account balances, prepares and adjusts work papers from clients’ trial balance
- Identifies potential management letter comments
- Researches accounting issues
- Recognizes potential problem areas in specific engagements and discusses them with engagement supervisor
- Participates in the engagement planning process
- Performs other accounting, auditing, and consulting duties as needed in engagements and as assigned by supervisory personnel
- Assumes full responsibility (under supervision) for preparation of compiled and reviewed financial statements
- Assists with more complicated segments of audit and accounting engagements
- Drafts annual financial statements, including footnote disclosures
- Becomes proficient at preparing financial statements using the firm’s software programs
- May train other staff auditors
- Well-rounded knowledge of accounting principles; knowledge of Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS), Government Auditing Standards (GAS Yellow Book) and Generally Accepted Governmental Accounting Standards (GAGAS) a plus
- Proficiency in use of computers and computer accounting software programs such as ATX, QuickBooks, and Creative Solutions.
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Some travel may be required
Compensation and Benefits:
Starting salaries for the entry level Staff Auditor position are competitive with salaries for similar positions in the private sector. Other benefits include:
- A full range of benefits including health and life insurance.